Master of Social Work, MSW
Master of Social Work Program (60 cr)
Indiana University East offers a 3 year part-time evening MSW program with a concentration in Advanced Generalist practice. The program is designed as a cohort model with a new cohort admitted every three years. The next MSW cohort is scheduled to begin July 2017, graduating in May 2020. Advanced Standing BSW students are eligible to join the cohort in the summer of 2018 and will also graduate in May 2020.
Potential MSW students are required to apply to the University Graduate Program and to the School of Social Work.
Online Graduate Applications:
Deadline: Next MSW Co-hort 2017
Don't hesitate to contact us with any additional questions or concerns, Linda Melody-Cottongim | email: email@example.com
MSW Programs of Study IU East
- Part-time Evening Program
- Part-time Advanced Standing Program
The Master of Social Work program consists of 60 credit hours of study and field work. The first 30 credit hours are core courses taken by all students, while the second 30 credit hours provide a concentration in interpersonal practice.
MSW 1st or Foundation Year
- Basic, general competence applicable to the broad range of social work practice.
- Basic competence in both interpersonal practice and planning and management practice.
- Basic competence for practice in social-service delivery systems.
MSW 2nd or Concentration Year
Development of more advanced competence in interpersonal practice, mental health, and addictions practice.
Field Practicum Requirements
- A student in the program is required to have field instruction (practicum) in two different agency settings.
- Students in field practicum will follow the work schedule of their field agencies during holiday periods and/or semester recess.
- Field instruction is available only to students who have been admitted as candidates for the Master of Social Work degree.
- Practica are concurrent with course work. A total of 960 clock hours of practicum are required;
- 320 hours in the foundation year,
- and 640 hours in the concentration year.
- Earn at least a C in each graded social work course.
- Maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale in required social work courses and a 3.0 overall GPA.
- Earn a grade of Satisfactory (S) in all practicum courses;
- to carry out professional activity in conformity with the values and ethics of the profession,
- and to comply with any contract that might have been entered into with the performance review committee.
In the event of failure to meet such requirements, students will be ineligible to continue in the program.
MSW Advanced Standing
PART-TIME EVENING ADVANCED STANDING COHORT
Eligible applicants for Advanced Standing will have graduated from a Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) accredited program with a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) between 2012-2018. BSW graduates must apply for Advanced Standing.
Advance standing students have achieved a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) degree, have applied for advanced standing, have been admitted to the IU graduate school, and are accepted into the MSW program as part-time evening MSW students for 2 years.
- Evidence of an earned Bachelor Degree of Social Work in the past five years from a program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
- Evidence of successful completion of one course in statistics.
- An earned cumulative undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale in the final 60 credit hours (or 90 quarter hours) of the degree. Those seeking an exception to this requirement should utilize the Petition for Exceptional Consideration found in the Admission Application.
Admission to the Master of Social Work program is a very competitive process. Simply meeting the minimum requirements listed above does not guarantee admission. The next advanced standing MSW students will start classes in summer 2018.
Please contact Linda Melody-Cottongim | email: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.