Headquartered at IUPUI
Locations on 8 IU Campuses


Enrollment in the Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) program requires formal admission to the Indiana University School of Social Work. Following are the minimum requirements for consideration for admission to the program:

  • Regular admission to the University
  • Completion of a minimum of 12 credit hours
  • Satisfactory completion of Introduction to Social Work (SWK-S 141 or approved equivalent)
  • Minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5
  • Submission of a Completion of Application for Admission to the BSW program

Four Year BSW Sample Plan

TSAP Transfer Sample Plan

4 year BSW advising plan

A minimum of 120 credit hours is required for the degree. The following outlines the BSW course requirements.

First-Year Seminar (2 cr)

Students entering the program with less than 12 credit hours of transferable credit are required to complete the First Year Seminar (UCOL-U 101).

General Requirements (25-27 cr)

Composition & Communication (6 cr)
  • ENG-W 131 Elementary Composition (C or above)
  • Choose one of the following:
    • ENG-W 132 Advanced Composition (C or above)
    • ENG-W 231 Professional Writing Skills
    • ENG-W 234 Tech Report Writing
    • ENG-W 270 Argumentative Writing
Natural Science, Physical Science & Mathematics
(Select 2 courses)
  • Choose 1 100 level Math course (excluding MATH-M 117)
  • Natural Science & Math Course with a Lab
Humanities & Fine Arts (9 cr)
  • HIST-H 106 American History II
  • SPCH-S 121 Public Speaking or CMCL-C 223 Business and Professional Communication (C or above)
  • Choose 1 HFA Elective course from:
    • The approved general education list available from your social work advisor.
Biological Science (3-4 cr)

Choose one biological science course from:

Supportive Areas Requirements (12 cr)

American Government (3 cr)
Behavioral & Social Sciences (6 cr)
Psychology Or Sociology (3 cr)
  • Select One 300 level Course

Degree Requirements


Sufficient to bring total graduation hours to 120.  Consider a Certificate in Gerontology and/or a Certificate in Alcohol and Drug Abuse with your elective credits.

REVISED 9/9/2014